Healthy Runner = Happy Runner

Written on: June 13, 2017

In: Running by Elisa Coleclough

injury prevention

Running is a happy habit and usually leads to good health, but also it is important that we remember to have our annual checkup.

A few weeks ago, I had started to feel really tired, and after a little while after running I felt heavy muscle fatigue, dizziness and my skin was drier than normal, no matter how much I stretched afterwards I had terrible cramps, so my body was reminding me of going to my annual checkup.

When I told me physician the symptoms I had, he immediately asked me if I eat meat, beans, wheat, dry fruits and dairy, to which I answered yes. Then he smiled and said, “I bet you are missing magnesium, but the blood test will let us know”.  Guess, what? The studies showed that I had magnesium, iron and calcium deficiency. Overall, my health and body were ok, but prevention is key.

I have been talking to some friends who run and there were about 40% of people who took health prevention seriously and the other 60% simply thought there was no need (yes, I am good with statistics). The truth is that prevention is not a common topic but the body needs to be taken care. I always think it is the “hardware” God gave us so we need to pamper ourselves because it will be with us the rest of our lives.

Among that first 40% they have a pretty good health have run longer marathons, have never been seriously injured and always follow medical advice being able to perform whatever sport they like.

On the other hand, the 60% have had at least one injury but they did not really “pay much attention to it” which led to new injuries (apparently not related) but, I believe our body is a whole and once there is something broken and unfixed other part of the body will suffer from strain

My conclusion is that the experts are the ones who can help us and guide us. So go to your doctor if you have an excellent health, keep it up for many years, if you do not, prevent it. Listen to your body and do not neglect it.

Finally, I have to say my doctor prescribed some dietary supplements; I feel energized, my skin is not dry and my body feels whole and “happy” again. I wonder what would have happened if I had not paid my visit to the doctor? Mmhhh, I’d rather think that I am glad I did and I am ready to run this year my first 42k in good shape!

You can read official info on injury prevention:

The WHO on prevention

National Center on Biotechnological Information

Tags: